President Uhuru Kenyatta has announced the cessation of movement into and out of Nairobi Metropolitan Area, Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa Counties for 21 days.
The cessation of movement in Nairobi today (Monday) at 7 pm while that of the other counties will begin from Wednesday.
The president said the move was arrived at after establishing that a majority of people who have contracted the disease are residents of Nairobi, Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa counties.
He said 82 percent of Kenyan reported cases are from Nairobi metropolitan area while 14 percent of the cases came from Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa.
The cessation of movement however does not limit movement within the affected areas.
Uhuru declared a cessation of all movement by air, road or rail in and out of Nairobi Metropolitan area and the counties of Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa.
“There is a choice that we are asked to make. Do we carry out as normal or carry it as an emergency and fundamentally change the way we act. Make no mistake, we are at war and we must be together if we are to win this war,” he said.
Also Read: Kenya covid-19 cases now hit 142
The President said after receiving advice from medical doctors it was proper for everyone to wear masks.
“Kenyans should wear a mask while in public places. There will be thousands of tailors who will make these masks,” he said.
Uhuru further announced that the number of covid-19 cases rose to 158.
This is after 16 more people turned positive. So far 4277 people have been tested.
The president also confirmed that so far six people have succumbed to the virus.