Former National Land Commission chairman Muhammad Swazuri has been arrested.
Swazuri and 23 others have been arrested by Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) sleuths over alleged corruption.
They were arrested from their homes in Nairobi on Wednesday morning. Their arrests are linked to a Sh109 million Mombasa land compensation scandal.
The Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions said the suspects would be charged with several economic crimes.
They will be charged with conspiracy to commit an economic crime, abuse of office, money laundering, financial misconduct and handling stolen property.
According to the DPP, Noordin Haji, there was a fraudulent acquisition of land that was to be handed to Kenya Highways Authority for the construction of the Mombasa southern Bypass and Kipevu New Highway Container Terminal link.
Haji claims that Tornado Carriers Limited was overpaid nearly three times the value of the land.
The land belonging to Tornado Carriers Limited was initially valued at Sh34,501,110 in 2015 but the commission paid Sh109,769,363 after Dr Swazuri ordered a second valuation.
Haji questioned the manner which NLC carried out a valuation of a piece of land that more than tripled the price within a period of two years.
“As required by law, a valuation was undertaken and a report prepared indicating that the value of the land in 2015 was Sh34.5 million,” he said.
“Following the valuation, an award was made to M/s Tornado Carriers Ltd for the said sum which award they allegedly rejected and the chairperson of NLC instructed the Director Valuation & Taxation and another officer in the same department to undertake a fresh valuation. The team returned a staggering figure of Sh109.8 million for the same parcel of land in January 2017.”
According to Mr Haji, NLC based the price of the land on the second questionable valuation and paid little regard to the initial valuation.
“The NLC proceeded to pay Ms Tornado Carriers Ltd Sh55.3 million and C.W. Chege & Co. Advocates Sh54.5 million,” the DPP said.
The suspects will be charged with offences of conspiracy to commit an economic crime, abuse of office, financial misconduct, unlawful acquisition of public property, fraudulent acquisition, dealing with suspect property, and money laundering.
Here is the full list of suspects in the current case:
1) Prof Muhammad Swazuri (Chairperson NLC).
2) Emma Njogu (Commissioner, NLC).
3) Joash Oindo (Deputy Director, Valuation & Taxation, NLC).
4) Dr. Salome Munubi (Director, Valuation & Taxation, NLC).
5) Francis Mugo (Director Finance, NLC).
6) Catherine Wanjiru Chege (Advocate, C.W Chege & Co. Advocates).
7) Jane Wanjiku Gachigi (Spouse, Joash Oindo (NLC)).
8) Kevin Oindo Mogambi (Son, Joash Oindo (NLC)).
9) Samuel Muturi Rugongo (Businessman).
10) Michael Onyango Oloo (Spouse, Lillian Keverenge (NLC)).
11) Godfrey Rubia Muritu (Businessman).
12) Sostaenah Ogero Taracha (Spouse to Salome Munubi (NLC)).
13) Nazir Ahmed Matabkhan (Director, Tornardo Carriers Ltd).
14) Shakil Ahmed Khan (Director, Tornado Carriers Ltd).
15) Evahmary Wachera Gathondu (Businesswoman).
16) Francis Kibaru (Businessman).
17) Martha Wairimu (Businesswoman).
18) John Kamau Mwangi (Businessman).
19) Philip Kiley (Businessman).
20) Albert Kipkosgei Lessonet (Director, Lorgis Logistics Ltd).
21) Mercy Wahu Wahome.
22) Lorgis Logistics Limited.
23) Lilian Savai Keverenge.
24) Betha Wangithi Muthike.