Kilifi governor Amason Kingi and his deputy Gideon Saburi will take a 30 percent pay cut to support the fight against Covid-19 in Kilifi County.
This comes after the government confirmed two more covid-19 positive cases from Kilifi.
The two female cases are said to have come into contact with one of the patients who tested covid-19 positive earlier on.
Currently Kenya has 31 confirmed covid-19 cases after three cases were confirmed on Thursday. Two are from Kilifi while one is from Kajiado.
In the new measures announced by Governor Amason Kingi, County executive committee members will take 25 percent pay cut while the county secretary and chief officers will take a 20 percent pay cut.
The pay cut will be effected from end of April.
At the same time, Kingi warned that public transport may be suspended in the county if people will still disregard social distancing.
“A quick survey of the county clearly indicates that the public transport sector is our weakest link in the fight against the quick spread of coronavirus as people continue to crowd in matatu termini and bus stations in total disregard of the social distancing safety measure. As a county government, we will observe this trend within the next 48 hours and if people continue to flout the social distancing safety measure in these areas, we will have no option but to suspend public service vehicle operations in the county so as to save lives,” said Kingi
Also Read: CoronaVirus: Industries shut in Kilifi
The county boss called for the scaling down of operations in slaughter houses across the county.
“All slaughter houses are to scale down operations to minimize the number of people working there. This is to discourage building up of crowds at our slaughter houses. They must also strictly observe the safety measures already given. Any breach of this directive by any slaughter house will lead to immediate closure of the same,” he added
The county government has however announced that licensed businesses will be waived the next financial year trade license to take care of the period they were not in operation.
“We are in the process of identifying the most vulnerable families in the county so as to cushion them from the effects of a slowed down economy due to these stringent measures. We have already been allocated storage space in the county by the National Cereals and Produce Board where we will be storing all foodstuffs from both the county government and well-wishers that will go towards assisting vulnerable families. The distribution mechanisms will be communicated,” said the governor.
On Wednesday, the county government ordered the closure of all industries within the county to curb the spread of Coronavirus.
Also closed are all export processing zones (EPZ) and quarries.
Kilifi county secretary Arnold Mkare directed the temporary closure of cement processing factories, quarries, all processing firms and all other industries where many people congregate.
Kilifi has over seven salt firms in Magarini, several coral block quarries in Kilifi, the Mombasa cement clinker factory in Takaungu, the Simba cement factory in Rabai, the Mabati rolling mills in Mariakani and many other industries.
Mkare warned that any industry that will go against the directive may be closed permanently.
The county is considered a priority area together with Mombasa Kwale and Nairobi counties after several cases turned positive for coronavirus.
So far Boda Boda operations have been banned, tuk-tuks are also not allowed to carry more than one passenger.
all hospitals in the county are being decongested by discharging all patients that can be managed from home.
All public mortuaries were shut down in a move aimed at reducing the spread of the virus.