Former County government of Kilifi protocol officer Mathew Kazungu John has been remanded at the Kilifi GK prison.
He will remain in custody for three months when the case will be heard.
Kazungu was remanded on Friday after pleading not guilty of absconding court.
He was arrested on Thursday within Malindi Township and appeared in Court before Kilifi Senior Principal Magistrate James Kituku.
He is expected to appear in court on July 9th for mention of the case and hearing will be on September 4.
His lawyer Denis Kinaro told the Court that he need time to get instructions on why the accused has not been attending Court.
Kazungu was charged in Court for defiling a 14 years old girl.
The minor was a class six pupil at Kilifi primary school. He is also facing other four counts which include kidnapping of the victim from her home and also from Bakhita girls rescue centre where she was rescued to.
He is also being accused of bribing the complainant mother with shs100, 000 to stop his arrest.
He committed the offences between October 24th, 2017 and January 22nd, 2018.
He was released on a shs500, 000 bond but he allegedly went on hiding thereafter.
Also Read: The curse of poverty on Ganze’s shadow
The arrest comes after Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) in charge of Kilifi Court Henry Achochi wrote to Kilifi County Commander Patrick Okeri demanding the arrest of the accused who had absconded Court for more than one year.
In the later dated 30th May, 2019, Achochi expressed concerns on why the accused was enjoying his freedom despite several warrants of arrest issued by the Court.
Earlier on, Achochi had also written to the former Kilifi County Criminal Investigation Officer (CCIO) Said Mohamed on 12th July last year demanding the arrest of the accused but all was in vain.
“The accused person has been on warrant since 20th February 2018. I’m informed that the accused is available and always attends funeral occasions where he has been acting as master of ceremony. We had written to the former CCIO to cause the execution of the warrant but all did not bear fruits .We are calling upon your office to cause execution of the warrant of arrest. We are afraid that the matter may be withdrawn without the victim getting justice,” said Achochi.
Warrant of arrest
In the letter to the former CCIO, Achochi said that the case had a long history where there has been blames on the part of the law enforcement agencies of taking sides to arrest and arraign the accused in Court.
He noted that the prosecution has not been left out of the blame game
More than ten warrants of arrest were issued by the former Kilifi Senior Principal Magistrate Robinson Ondieki to have the accused apprehended by the police in Kilifi but all were fruitless.
He stopped going to Court after the victim testified against him.
In May this year, the new Kilifi Senior Principal Magistrate summoned the investigating officer and the two sureties Hamisi Mwachonje and Charo Kashuru to appear in Court on June 10th to explain the whereabouts of the accused.
Kazungu has been enjoying his freedom and in many circumstances he has been spotted in the company of top County officials including Kilifi Governor Amason Kingi.
Recently, he was the Master of ceremony during the burial of the father to Kilifi County Secretary Arnold Mkare in Kakoneni village. He was also the master of Ceremony during the burial of the father to Kilifi County Woman Representative Getrude Mbeyu at their home in Kibarani ward, Kilifi North Constituency.
Photos of him posing with Kilifi Woman Representative went viral in Kilifi Whats App groups with the public questioning the grounds for his freedom.