Former Kilifi county Chief protocol officer Kazungu John was on Thursday released on a Ksh 400,000 bond by a Kilifi court after spending a month in remand.
Kazungu was held at the Kilifi GK prison after he denied charges of failure to attend court.
The ruling was made by Kilifi Senior Resident Magistrate Justus Kituku even after the prosecution pleaded with the court to have the bond revoked for failure to attend Court.
Kituku said the accused had promised to follow the law.
“The accused person was apologetic to the Court and promised he will never miss to attend Court once he is released on bond. He has told the Court that for the few days he has been in custody he has learned his lessons and he is ready to abide by every provision set by the Court,” said Kituku.
However Kazungu will be reporting at the Kilifi Director of Criminal Investigation (DCI) after every two weeks starting from September 8 2019.
This is the second time the Court is turning down prayers by the prosecution to deny the accused bond until the matter is complete after it was noted that he has not been availing himself on hearing dates.
Kazungu was charged for absconding Court for more than one year making a case in which he is accused of sexually abusing a minor to stall.
Also Read: How Kazungu John became a wanted man
He was arrested last month on Thursday June 20th within Malindi following a warrant of arrest from Kilifi Senior Principal Magistrate Justus Kituku on June 10 this year during a mention in Court.
Kituku’s warrant of arrest came after several others which were being issued by the former Kilifi Senior Principal Magistrate Robinson Ondieki.
The former protocol officer is being accused of defiling a 14 years old girl, a class six pupil at Kilifi primary school. He is also facing other counts which include kidnapping of the victim from her home and also from Bakhita girls rescue center
He is also being accused of interfering with witnesses where he bribed the complainant’s mother with shs100, 000 to stop his arrest.
He committed the offences between October 24, 2017 and January 22, 2018.
The case will be mentioned on August, 8 while the hearing will be on September 12.