COVID-19: How Kilifi DG risked lives

covid-19

Kilifi Deputy Governor Gideon Saburi has been put under quarantine after returning from a trip in Germany.

On his return from the Berlin trip, Saburi visited Mombasa hospital for a checkup after feeling unwell.

For the three days he was admitted at the facility, the deputy governor allegedly did not reveal that he had travelled abroad.

A good number of the nurses who attended him at the facility have been quarantined.

He also attended the international Women’s day which was commemorated in Rabai Sub County.

He also attended burial ceremonies in the county.

In one of the burials he interacted with Rabai MP William Kamoti, Kilifi women representative Getrude Mbeyu and land CAS Gideon Mung’aro among other leaders.

A member of parliament from the county has also been admitted. The MP interacted with the DG.

Saburi’s official driver has also been admitted and he is to be tested for Covid-19.

During a press briefing on Sunday, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe, without naming names, said a senior official from Kilifi county would be charged for defying government orders to self-quarantine after an international trip.

Also Read: Coronavirus: how long does it take to get sick? How infectious is it? Will you always have a fever? COVID-19 basics explained

He went on to confirm the official had tested positive for Covid-19.

Last week, Saburi’s office was fumigated.

Kilifi governor Amason Kingi on Sunday confirmed that one of his officials has tested positive.

The governor said he is currently on self-quarantine after coming into contact with the official.

“I also came into direct contact with the patient and as the coronavirus protocols demands, I have placed myself on self-quarantine starting Thursday 19 March 2020. I also had the emergency response team visit me at my home to collect specimen for testing. I got my results and they turned negative. Despite turning negative, coronavirus protocols dictate that I continue with self-quarantine till the expiry of the mandatory 14 days. I will fully comply,” said the Governor in a press release.

Social media platforms in Kilifi castigated the deputy governor for being irresponsible by not following set out guidelines.

Some even called for his resignation for putting the lives of Kilifi people at risk.

About the Author

Moses Okitae
Moses Okitae Writes about Science stories, food security and human interest stories.

Be the first to comment on "COVID-19: How Kilifi DG risked lives"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*