Eight people perished Monday morning in a grisly multiple crash at Makobeni in Rabai Sub County.
Six people died on the spot while two others succumbed to injuries while undergoing treatment at the Mariakani sub county hospital and Coast General referral hospital.
Confirmed the accident, Kilifi Police boss Patrick Okeri said that 3 people are admitted in critical condition.
“We don’t know how many people were injured because when police arrived some people had already been evacuated from the wreckage by residents,” Okeri said.
According to eyewitnesses, a private car lost control and knocked a lorry while overtaking on a bridge in a steep slope consequently knocking other 2 passenger mini-buses and another lorry.
Also Read: Hola prison warder shoots, kills colleague
Residents led by area MP William Kamoti blamed the Kenya National Highways Authority KeNHA for failing to erect bumps on known black spots along the busy highway.
Kamoti said he had written several letters to KeNHA over the state of the road but nothing has been done.
“They always claim the road is hilly hence they cannot erect bumps. We are giving KeNHA up to seven days to put bumps in these areas after which the community will take action,” said Kamoti.
Kilifi deputy governor Gideon Saburi who visited the scene urged KeNHA to find a solution for the road which has become a death trap.
Drivers also complained that bushes on the roadside are distracting road users as it is hard to see ahead while on a corner.
“If they won’t erect bumps let them clear bushes near the road so that we can see oncoming vehicles from far,” said a driver
The mini-buses were extensively damaged.
The wreckage of the vehicles were towed to Rabai Police Station.